background

Tuesday 20 March 2012

recycled babywearing coat - diy tragemantel

This coat, about 20 years old, a present from my grandmother (but not hers, I don't want to overdo it here ;) ) has saved me in the wintermonths of my two pregnancies: Baggy and cosy. Non-pregnant, however, 'baggy' is not exactly what you would want for your coat, hanging shouldercaps (here just above the elbow) make it even more baggy and cumbersome to lift your arms.



 On the other hand I have always wanted a babywearing coat for cold winter days. Something that can be worn with but also without baby on the back. So here I went, courageously cutting my way through the coat. First I adapted the shoulders,cutting away lots of material, which in the end was missing lengthwise at the sleeves. The lining had to be adjusted and mended, which was at least as cumbersome as adapting the outer shell of the coat. I used checkered cooked wool for the inserted piece and also for the cuffs:




There are two horizontal zippers from each side to the middle and one vertical. the other vertical zipper of the same brand and length is sewn between two layers of cooked wool of the insert piece. I just found out that it also fits to my fleece jacket, so if ever I want to wear my little one belly to belly and I need a jacket, I have this option, too!




  The insert piece is somewhat egg-shaped. I applied elastic cords horizontally and around the head-support bit (it's not really meant to be supportive for a sleeping baby, but at least it is a good protection against the wind.

Horizontally I added a flap to have some more protection against cold and wind while wearing and to cover the horizontal zippers when I wear the coat without my baby and without the insert.
Actually I had wanted to pimp the coat a bit more with this berry coloured cooked wool - lovely material! - but then other projects came up... But I guess this is the reason, why I didn't post this earlier ;)





I still need to take some pics of the coat without the insert, hopefully soon... 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea, I may need something like that in autumn! (Summer will hopefully be warm.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I don't see an email or contact form anywhere... could you email me? I'm linking to this post in a round up and would love permission to use an image. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete